Talking to Children about traumatic events: https://bit.ly/3oPw7Ur
Helping Kids Grieve: https://bit.ly/32d7PMv
How to Help the Healing Process-Grief: https://nyl.co/3oO8rjr
Resources for Children and Family Support
- After a Crisis: How Young Children Heal from the Early Trauma Treatment Network, National Child Traumatic Stress Network
- When Bad Things are Happening from Learning for Justice
- What to say to kids when the news is scary from National Public Radio
Library Specific Resources Through BadgerLink, resources such as Novelist, Novelist K-8, and TeachingBooks are accessible for Wisconsin library staff, while performing subject searches to find books to start these conversations. TeachingBooks also curates accompanying resources such as discussion questions, activities, and lessons designed to further the discussion. See the Department of Public Instructions’ (DPI) recent Resource Highlights for more information on how to use these resources:
- Novelist: https://badgerlink.dpi.wi.gov/bulletin/2021/09/resource-highlight-novelist-and-novelist-k-8
- Teaching Books: https://badgerlink.dpi.wi.gov/bulletin/2021/09/resource-highlight-teachingbooks
In addition, the Children’s Cooperative Book Center (CCBC), a DPI partner, maintains its own Recommended Book Search that can surface books hand-selected as high quality resources. A subject search is available through the CCBC website. Also, library staff interested in obtaining additional physical materials should use WISCAT, Wisconsin’s statewide resource sharing platform, if such materials are not available through a local, shared consortium.
Crisis Support Lines
- For support through text message, text HOPELINE to 741741.
- For YouthLine, call 877-968-8491 or text TEEN2TEEN to 839863.
- For the National Parent Hotline, call 1-855- 4A PARENT (1-855-427-2736).
- For Disaster Distress Line, call 1-800-985-5990.